My cousin and friend, Reg Ihebuzor, with whom I regularly engage in discussions on development and politics, pointed out to me today that President Jonathan by his utterances and actions represents real change and that indeed the mantra of real change fits him like a glove. He reminded me of the following products of President Jonathan as proof of this real change mantra.
- Almajari Schools – never been done before
2. Stopping corruption in fertiliser – never been done before
3. Starting 2nd Niger Bridge – never been done before
4. Revamping railways – never been done for 20 years
5. Revamping 14 airport terminals – not been done
6. Appointing more women in responsible positions – never been done
7. National conference for effective federalism – never been done before
8. You-win for youths – never been done before
9. Reform of power sector – never been done
10.Reform payment system in public sector to stop corruption – never been done.
He contrasts these evidences of real change with startling evidence of the rigidity of Buhari, of Buhari’s incapacity for change and his inflexibility, all the more startling given Buhari’s change campaign slogan. He cited the following as evidence of inability to understand change and to change :
- Arrogant Dictator – unchanged. “If you do not like Me, go and vote for the other party”
- Unchanging attitude towards his role in the PTF heist and the gross management ineptitude he displayed
- Unrepentant and unchanging attitude towards the post election violence by his supporters in 2011
- Unrepentant and unchanging attitude towards his current association with politicians with shady and corrupt pasts.
- Unchanging attitude towards retroactive laws that resulted in deaths. So, no apologies for retroactive laws
- Unchanging arrogance – “I can’t change the past” and unwillingness to retract utterances he made in the past which are indicative of outright religious bigotry
- Unchanging attitude towards decrees 2 and 4
- No change in attitude towards his overthrow of a democratically elected government.
- No apologies for jailing democratically elected political leaders.
- No change in his attitude towards the unresolved certificate issue.
Whatever Buhari is, he certainly is not change. Buyer, beware! Choose wisely.